Tuesday, January 12, 2010

What to get a 3 year old...

Lydia's birthday is coming up, she will be 3 at the end of the month. And I'm having problems thinking of what to get her for her birthday.She really doesn't play with toys that much. She has such a big imagination that she gets bored quickly with toys and she just imagines toys or people she wants to play with. My first thought was to get her a kitchen play set and I found a really nice one for $25 on Craig's list, with the fridge and oven and fruit and all sorts of cool stuff. But how soon would she get bored with it? 6 months, 2 months? Then what would we do with it.
I called Mom yesterday to get more ideas, and she had some good ones. One idea was to give her things that would encourage her imagination. I liked that idea, but what kinds of things could I giver her that will do that. The things she play with most are my whisks and tongs from the kitchen and I have seen them become several different things. Another idea was to give her big person things. Things that belong to me or mark that I notice her playing with, chap stick, wallet, keys, tape, whisks, back pack, glasses, ect. I like that idea too. So now I think I need to really pay attention to her when she plays and see if I can figure out what she would like the most.
*suggestions welcome*

6 comments:

Keith said...

Um... Perhaps a backpack full of random stuff like what you mentioned. Then she has a place to put all of her random toys and stuff you give her!

Sheri said...

I think you should give her....I don't know. I like to take the opportunity of birthdays to buy one children's book that I like enough to read to them every day if they make me.

Other than that, the wire whisk sounds like a great idea. Maybe with a muffin mix and cupcake papers as well, so she can cook.

Sarah said...

...oooo sheri, I even saw heart shaped silicone cup cake "wrappers" in teh seasonal isleat wal mart.....she would LOVE those.....hum, I like it...and I already have muffin mix. AND that takes up WAY less space then the big kitchen set. ...AND I need new whisks so I can get ME new ones and give ehr my old ones that she loves so much ;)
Keith, not a bad idea either. And the great thing about BOTH, is I can do all of it and still probably not spend $20 on her.
I like asking for suggestions. :)

Tracie said...

duct tape. She is your daughter after all! :~) IF she doesn't already have one.. make or get the stuff to customize her own apron and chef hat for her to wear when she is creating her wonderful masterpieces in the kitchen!

TannHart said...

Oh...I was going to suggest this super easy apron found here

http://crapivemade.blogspot.com/2009/06/super-easy-apron-tutorial.html

Tracie suggested a chef hat and I remembered the (not quite as easy) tutorial I saw here:

http://curlypops.blogspot.com/2009/08/tutorial-how-to-make-chefs-hat-for-your.html

Sarah said...

yes yes yes, awesome. I may end up going with the cooking theme for this birthday. She is playing with my kitchen utensils as we speak. ...today it's the ladle.