Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Adventures in Banjo Land

About 2 years ago I thought it'd be cool to make my banjo look a little more unique by changing the color of the banjo head (the round part).
Good News:
They make other colors besides white

Bad News:

The only other colors are black and clear

Good News:

I REALLY like black.

Bad News:

It took me 2 YEARS to finally order one

Good News:

I shopped around and got the best deal

Good News :
It only took a few days to get here and I got it on FRIDAY!! Yeah Baby!
Good News:
I didn't have to pay someone to put it on, cause I know how to do repairs on my banjos.

Bad News:
I got it all in pieces (there are a LOT of little pieces to a banjo) got the pot off the neck, got the old white head off, MOMENT OF TRUTH! Put the NEW HEAD ON AND....it's too SMALL?!?!

Good News:
This ain't my first 'coon hunt, and at least I know how to put it all back together, so I can keep on playing.

Bad News:
My poor neighbors...

Good News:
I held both heads up side by side and the difference is LESS then 1/8 in. So Maybe a music store will have a trick to putting them on.

Bad News:
Guy at the music store said if it doesn't fit it doesn't fit.

Bad News:
I have an odd sized pot so it's nearly impossible to buy a head on line

Bad News:
Black heads are a little hard find to begin with and I have ONLY seen them in 11 in ( you know, the size that won't fit)

Good News:
I found out that there is a BLUEGRASS Music store here in Springfield that knows a heck of a lot more about banjo's then your average run of the mill music store does.

Bad News:
I called and they don't have any

Good News:
They can ORDER one

Bad News:
Since it's a specialty size it will take about 3 MONTHS to get it in.

Good News :
It's about the same price as the one I bought on line is.

So yes, I am going in today, with my banjo to get it measured and "fitted" for a new look. And I'm SUPER excited about it. And yes, I know I'm a nerd. :) But seriously do you know how cool it's going to look?!?!

Bad News:
Having a different kind of head will effect the sound of the banjo. And I may not like how it effects the sound

Good News:
I have read that with the type of pot I have it usually makes it sound better then having the usual frosted white head.

So I guess we will see in about 3 months now won't we.

3 comments:

Shelly said...

Am I allowed to just say

"huh??"

:)

Sheri said...

This was a fun story. A black banjo? Wicked awesome.

PS. You were in my dream last night.

Lildonbro said...

Bad news: I couldn't post a comment right away and was about to give up.

Good news: I hit refresh and everything worked perfectly.

:)

Bad news: I forgot what I originally was going to say.