Tuesday, December 21, 2010

This years projects

I posted pictures on FB already so most likely you've already seen them, But I wanted some on my blog with a better explanation. The truck was my design. I drew up plans and went and bought wood, and cut it out and put it together.
I got the pictures on line, and put them together to my liking.
The flames on the back I just dew in real quick and started painting. I'm very excited about how it turned out. I can't wait to see him play with it on Christmas.

The kitchen is a different story. The microwave was built from scratch with the same wood I got for the truck. The sink and oven were originally two little end table things. My Grandpa use to teach Jr High shop class and these two tables (if I remember correctly) were done by students and then left there. My mom had them forever. The oven one was repainted once for me when I was a kid and I called it my strawberry table (it had stickers of strawberries) I repainted it a couple years ago for Lydia.
Both tables had a cressent shape cut out on the sides that I had to cut wood to match and fill it in. The oven I didnt have to do much changing too, but the sink I took completly apart and put it back together with an added piece.
I (in effort to save money) cut out and made all the handles and knobs and the faucet my self. The microwave handle I actually cut out of wood the others are dowel rods that I cut and knotched to fit together. Again, that was more work then I anticipated. But I'm glad I did it.

All I can say is I hope my work is as sturdy ans some jr high kids. That shelf did NOT want to come apart. while hammering out the nails they took chunks of wood with them. It's a good thing I got a big tub of wood filler, I used A LOT for these.
It would have been easier to start from scratch with everything, but I already had the tables and scraps to fill them, so it did save a little money, and it's fun for me to give something new life.

I've been working on these since October and just finished the last one yesterday. It was definitely more work then I thought. I worked on them nearly every day when Danton took his nap. I'd put on a movie for Lydia and work till Danton woke up. Then again when Mark had school in the evenings, and the kids were in bed I'd get to work again. total cost for all 4 was about $80 when all was said and done.
I am also repainting buildings from a little town my parents made when I was little. It's for Danton to have something to drive his trucks on. They are all sanded and repaired and ready for paint. There are only 5 little buildings so I should be able to get it all done during one of Danton's naps.
And I have some sewing to finish up as well. Stockings and something for Mark for Christmas eve. (not that I think he will read this between now and then, but just in case I'm not saying what it is)
WHEW! Almost done.

3 comments:

Lildonbro said...

...you are the coolest mom ever.

Jon and Annalisa said...

When you do things like this, I sort of can't believe I actually know you. So skilled. So rad.

Sheri said...

Those are AMAZING! I love how they turned out.