I found a trick to getting Lydia to willingly go to bed. When I was little my Dad use to give us rides. First there was the horsey ride, self explanatory. Later, when we got older and needed more then a horse for entertainment, came the space ship ride. THRILLER. It was awesome. We'd sit on our launch pad (a pillow) with our knees up by our chest. Dad would do the count down then grab under our knees and fly us all around the house (sound effects and all of course). Then it evolved and on his arms were imaginary buttons we could push mid flight to navigate our course to bed. Later in trying to be creative, the girls got broom rides to bed. I think I was probably too big for this one when it came about, but Marisa remembers doing it. Dad grabs your feet and does a sweeping motion with you, and your hair acts as the bristles....got it?
Well we live in a house with stairs. Space ship rides are out of the question, and horsey rides...well they turn into piggy back rides. One day after prayers Lydia asked for a horsey ride up to bed, and in the spirit of not-wanting-to-kill-the-horse, I quickly came up with an easier (but fun) alternative.
"How bout a Princess Walk?" No explanation necessary for Lydia, she was BORN knowing how to walk like, talk like, and BE a princess. Hands are flexed but down at your side and have a swaying motion as you walk. Then as we go up the stairs we get princess names, usually they are Princesses she has seen on movies, but one day I was Princess Malta. (?) So we have a princess walk and we talk about princess things all the way to bed, it is very...princessey.
She loves it. She jumps up and gets excited about going to bed EVERY time. I'll have Daddy get a video of it sometime.
3 comments:
i would love to see that in action! i'm sure you guys make the awesomest princesses, but i really want to see you talking like princess! you gotta take a video of it sometime!
hahaha, TOO CUTE! I agree, this one definitely needs to be caught on video! "No explanation necessary for Lydia" haha, she's such a silly girl!
Well Princess Malta,
That's very cute, and doesn't hurt your back!
Post a Comment