A service auction is by far on of my favorite Relief Society activities. I did on in my student ward in ID and it was a ton of fun. Last week we did one for our Relief Society activity in Springfield 3rd ward. It was a big hit too.
Here is how it works.
Everyone (that wants to) writes down what service you want to donate along with your name and number on a card. Everyone got play money and then the auction started. When you have the winning bid, you turn in your money and you get the card with the service and the number of the one providing the service.
People donated things like a month of free piano lessons, help with sewing, FHE treats, breakfast on Conference morning (that one was popular), babysitting, all sorts of stuff. I donated a batch of cinnamon rolls, a glass etching (to be picked by the buyer), and 3 months of free banjo lessons and rental. And all 3 were more popular then I expected. They went for pretty good prices. The one that EVERYONE was bidding on was the free 1 hour massage. People were pooling their money and splitting the massage, and they ended up donating a few more cause it was in such high demand. It was hilarious to see what everyone did to try and get it, and how excited everyone got about it.
It was a fun way to get to know the sisters in our ward, and we all laughed so much. It got a little crazy at times, but it was so fun.
Me, I got 2 free babysitting. Hoping to cash one in this weekend.
4 comments:
that sounds a lot of fun! i've never been in a ward that did that but maybe i should suggest that sometime! you are generous to offer 3 months of free banjo lessons!
Do you mean our ward did that? If so I don't remember that at all. Sounds like fun. I hope you get to cash in the babysitting this weekend too.
No, not in college, My ward in Pocatello did that 3 years ago.
At first I was like, "What is a service auction?" and then you were explaining it and I thought, "Yeah! I've done one of those!" I couldn't go to it but I wrote down that I would make a pan of brownies (special brownies with all the fixins) The Missionaries surprisingly took that one...wish I could have been there to see the bidding.
Man - now I want to do another one.
Post a Comment