Monday, June 29, 2009

Found my motivation

I love learning new instruments. I would love to be able to play every instrument in western culture. However before you can learn to play an instrument, you have to really want to learn, you gotta find your motivation. Whatever that may be. second you have to have the time, and third, you have to have that instrument.
I would really love to learn the piano next. I took lessons as a kid, but only cause EVERYONE told me how long my fingers were, and I would be so good at playing piano. So I thought it would be easy...nope I still had to practice, who'd have thought. I didn't retain ANYTHING except how to read music from those lessons.
As an adult I watch people play and it amazes me, I would LOVE to be able to play. But I have never had the motivation to learn. Well I think I may have just tapped into that motivation recently.
A few months ago I was extended the call to be the Relief Society pianist. I would have loved that, but I had to say no cause well I don't' know how to play. A few weeks later I was called to be a Primary teacher...again. I know big surprise. Although this is actually a pretty good set up. I'm team teaching the 6 year olds with another sister in the ward, who also teaches Relief Society on the 4th Sunday. So week 1 & 2 she teaches class and I play crowd control, and week 3& 4 I teach class.
Well yesterday was my first week 4. Teaching with NO crowd control. No big deal, I've taught this age before with out help. Nothing new right? ...WRONG! I had 9 kids in my class that day. When we got into class I could not get enough control after the opening prayer to start the lesson. So I left the class ran back to Primary and asked the president for someone to come help. Returned to my class as soon as I could and was joined a few mins later by my crowd control. Class was STILL terrible. Had I not had help I don't know what I'd have done. I left crowd control to her, and it was not an easy job. She took some kids out and that helped. And when they came back things were better...for a little bit.
Long PAINFUL story short, that was by FAR the WORST primary experience I have EVER had. I was frustrated nearly to tears a couple time, even WITH help. Most of the kids were angles, but 3 or 4 were unbelievably bad.
Now, had I been able to play the piano, I would have NEVER experienced yesterday. I would have the best calling in the world. Playing music for the sisters in the ward. So I may have just found my motivation to learn to play the piano...now, if I can just get a hold of one. :)

5 comments:

Chelsi said...

That's pretty good motivation :) I would love to learn how to play the piano too. I have an old one at my parents that needs some work, but we don't really have room for it and I don't want to have to move it in a year so... I'm waiting still.

Mike and Marisa Compton said...

I've found tons of keyboards at garage sales. Usually they're $20 ish. Keyboards arent the greatest to learn on, but if you practis on the keyboard then everysunday just spend a few min on the real piano after church. I BELEIVE IN YOU!!!

Sheri said...

I'm sorry! Those wicked wicked children. ;) It must hurt to know you could have been playing the piano. I've decided that the pianists have the wonderful callings, and I want to learn too.

Sarah said...

That's it, we should start a club. Rissy I'd invite you, but you CAN play, and you already DO have a piano...I nominate you as President. And the rest of us....(flash of brilliance) we can learn on a silent piano! :)

Nancyann said...

haha, Silent piano, just like in "Trouble with Angels" haha, good movie! and good idea! lol (unless you want to learn piano for REAL, then it's NOT such a great idea...)