Friday, April 29, 2011

Keeping busy

In order to make the last few weeks of pregnancy pass quickly I have come up with all sorts of projects. And so far it's worked. I stay focused on my projects and not on counting down. And now I'm down to 1 1/2 weeks!
The latest project was a new car seat cover. My sis in-law gave me her old one which was AWESOME cause I was going to have to buy a new one. Those things are CRAZY expensive. I wasn't super crazy about the cover though.
I still have TONS of fabric (formerly sheets) that I got from the thrift store (seriously, best/cheapest way to buy solid color fabric) So I decided to make a new cover for the seat. I decided on a design then proceeded to make a pattern.
I was pretty proud of my self. Nearly everything is salvaged materials except the batting inside. I used old sheets, and fabric that I already had, and I cut the hems off the black sheets to use as bias tape, and I used the elastic from the fitted sheets.
Old cover:
New cover:
AND I added something different. I made the little canopy thingy have an extendable peice so it covers the whole seat. So I don't have to worry about trying to keep a blanket on there.
And I made a little cut out in the middle to check on her.

I seriously love it. I know it's not girly, but comon, can you really see me toteing around a PINK car seat? Besides, if we have another boy down the road it works for him too.
Oh and since I made a new one instead of recovering the old one, I now have 2 covers. Yay for spares!
Now, on to my NEXT project.

4 comments:

Sheri said...

Holy moly, you are AMAZING. Have I ever told you that? UH. MAZE. ING.

Marisa said...

Nice sarah! The canopy is amazing. I've always wanted to have a carseat that I didn't have to drape a blanket over. Nice touch. Seriously you could make a ton of money if you wanted to make stuff for other people.

The Ottley's said...

WOO HOO! Keep those hands (and mind) busy momma! Nice work!

Kris said...

Great job!! It looks so professional and spiffy. I LOVE the colors you chose. I'm all about neutral/co-ed colors.