This was my project last week. It's a Cookie Tin Banjo, and yes it really works. I've had the tin since Christmas of 07 hoping that some day it would grow a neck and turn into a baby banjo and it finally did. The neck is a scrap 2X4 from my parents house, I got the tuners used from a local music shop, that's why they don't match, and I already had the strings.
Basically I drew up my plans on the 2X4 and cut it out with my jig saw, then I used my dremel tool to smooth out the corners and carve the notch out for the 5th string tuner, then I use a file to smooth up any nicks I added and finally my little palm sander, you know my "cute" one. It worked perfect. I drilled the holes for the tuners, then I just stained and varnished it.
Cutting the hole in the tin was a little tricky, and I didn't have the right size screws for the tuners, so I had to do some drilling to the tuners and cutting to the screws to get it to work, but I didn't' have to buy any hardware. :)
I already had the bridge, but I needed to sand it down and cut new notches for the strings.
The nut is a lid to a peanut butter jar that I cut up.
Nothing is really precise, i didn't measure anything, and I got lucky, the holes for the tuners were almost too far in to be able to turn them.
The video is what it sounds like, and my internet is being really stupid and not letting me edit the post the way I want to, so you get to guess what picture is what when I'm talking about it.
7 comments:
WOAH! Sarah....did you just decide to do that or did you figure out how to do it online?
That is truley amazing. Really you should sell those things. I bet you could sell them on your banjo forum and make some good money with collectors.
Have I told you lately that...YOU"RE AWESOME! and hang in there...the boys almost there.
Once again you are amazing!
Wow, that is really cool Sarah! I will have to show my father-in-law. He is a band teacher and loves to make instruments. He would really like your baby banjo! You are amazing!
That is really cool.
We are looking forward to your very latest project too.
That is very ingenious. I love the way you see things and just decide that it can work.
The cookie tin banjo wasn't my idea, people make these all the time. not just banjos, and with more than cookie tins. I didn't have much instruction, but I did have a little.
I'm hoping it fits in my bag so I can take it to the hospital and have something to do besides watch tv.
wow! that is awesome!
i love the sound of it too!
man, you are so talented!
i always look at the mirror you gave us and think about how much i miss you guys...
what are you gonna make next?
Post a Comment