Saturday, December 13, 2008

POWER TOOLS!

I have been working on the last of Lydia's presents for Christmas this year. A Doll cradle. This is one that I had as a little girl and I'm a sentimental pack rat, I can't get rid of anything cause it all "means something",(don't worry I AM getting better) so when Mom told me she had it in her attic and asked if I wanted it I got all excited. It has been well loved over the years even though I wasn't much for dolls.
The plan is to take it apart, sand it down, fill the holes, stain it and put it back together. So I got it apart, and the foot board was split completly in half, but luckly i had a random pice of wood just the right size to cut out another one. Everything else seems to be intack. The head board has a nasty split 1/2 way up, but I think I can work around it.
So couple days ago I got to work a-sanding. I have this cute little palm mouse sander. Ok Folks, the word "cute" should NEVER be able to be used in the same sentence as ANY kind of power tool. "Power" and "Cute" just don't mix.
I spent FOREVER sanding just 2 of the 8 pices down, then my hand was numb for a while after from all the vibrating.
Then yesterday I borrowed my self a REAL sander, looks something like this:And WOW! That got the job done. It still took some time, I'm not quite 1/2 way done with everything but I mean WOW. I went back over the stuff I already "sanded" and clean it up quite a bit. When I was using my sander I didn't think I could even get it out.
But I paid for the power with the mess it made. I transformed my kitchen into my work shop, whish is what I always do when I use my power tools. I had my vacuum handy to clean up often thinking that would help...nope. Saw dust was EVERY WHERE. Even on the table in the dining room. I looked around and thought "awe man, do I really have to clean this up?" I could have just left it. "No Honey, the kitchen was never white, it's ALWAYS been this beigh color. " "No the house isn't dusty, it just has that warm Christmas GLOW."
I think next time there is a semi warm day I'll take my tools out side.

5 comments:

Mike and Marisa Compton said...

lol how fun. I hope you get it done in time for Christmas. We're looking forward to seeing you when we go down there on the 21st! Mike won't be coming till Christmas eve...but he can't wait either!

Sheri said...

A warm christmas glow indeed. lol. That cradle sounds AWESOME, and I really wish I had your skills at making things beautiful, even old broken things. You rock.

Cassie Rakes said...

Have you got the dust snot yet? It's lovely.

Anonymous said...

You are right, cute and power don't go together. Cute means it won't really get the job done. Mike calls me tool time, I think I need to share the name with you ;D

Laura Willis said...

Too funny.
I have never been trusted with power tools.
Scott quoted from a book about how to manipulate your husband into getting things done. I don't agree completely but it could be pretty effective.
If you want a picture hung, you take the biggest nail you can find and the biggest hammer, holding them both up to the wall ask your husband if this is a good place for the picture?
For the saw dust I would recommend a leaf blower and opening the sliding glass door. Just kidding. =)