Friday, December 19, 2008

Christmas decorations!

Well this year I decided to get a fake tree. I know I know. I LOVE real trees. I would have freaked out as a kid if my parents got a fake tree, they have one now...I think, but when I was at home we always got a real one. They are just so much more fun. Well until YOU are the one incharge of setting it up, by your self.
The last two years we got a real tree. The first real tree was a gift from my cousin Heather and her husband Parker. We were't going to have a tree cause I was still pregnant at that point, no kids to be disapointed about not having a tree, and we didn't have a lot of extra money that year. So they knocked on our door one saturday and brought in a tree and set it all up and helped decorate it. It was so fun!
Then came time ot take it down. That was all me. Long story short I had to borrow a hand saw and cut it apart limb by limb to take it to the dumpster, then I had the sap and pine needles to worry about.
Last year mark brought one home after a hunting trip with Parker. They had all gone and cut down trees, so Mark got one too. It was great. Another real tree. Only this year Mark was so busy with work the tree sat in our kitchen for a few days till I decided if I didn't do it, it wasnt' going to get done. It was already starting to dry out casue it hadn't had water in a few days, so I got poked and cut and scratched quite a bit. And after an hour and a half of fighting with that tree I got it up. and yes it fell over a couple times. And I had to cut several branches off to get it in teh stand, then it looked funny with out teh branches on the bottem, so I wired them back on with my floral wire. It looked great too. Then came time to take it down, once again by my self. Only I enjoyed it a little more this time. There were WAY more needles last year then the year before cause it dried out fast. I delt with a cloggesd vacuum for the next 4 months. I unclogged that thing 3 times, after I thought I got all the needles and had the vacuum unclogged, I STILL kept sucking up needles, till we moved.
So this year we went fake. Looked a used ones, looked at cheap ones. Then mark said that if we invest in a nice oen it will look good and last a long time. So I gathered up all our change and spare cash we had and used that to put toward the tree, ended up having over $66, not bad eh? So monday Lydia and I went to Wal Mart and got a tree. I prefer teh clear lights, but the tree that I liked only had the colored lights left. so it was either go down a step to a cheaper tree, that didn't look as good, and get teh clear lights, or get the tree I liked and go with colored. So I got teh one with colored lights. I figure one day if I really REALLY want clear lights I can just by teh 650 replacement clear lights and change all of them out. But that would take forever. Maybe I can do one color a year. :)
I set it up after Lydia went to bed. By my self again, But this year it was EASY. Just stack the 3 prces and fluff. :) The next day Lydia helped me decorate it. She LOVES our Krimis Tree. She knows not to pull things off of it, so she is really good when I'm around, but if I leave the room for 5-10 mins I find her iwth decorations in her hands.
We dont' have any pictures yet, I still have a few decorations that need to be fixed. So we we get it all fixed I'll post a picture.
And I think having the tree up for a week and a half is going to be much better than having it up for a month this year:) A month is a long time to get after a toddler not to touch the cool decorations.

Wow, that was WAY longer than I intended. :) Well now you know.

4 comments:

Sheri said...

Yay for no more clogged vacuums! Merry Christmas to you.

Heather and Parker Lyons said...

I have to tell you, I was SO JEALOUS of the tree that we picked out for you guys that year! And I know ALL about getting poked and sapped to get those things lit and decorated. And the needles....OH THE NEEDLES! We were vacuuming those things up till we moved as well. I'm a big believer in fake trees, I grew up with one. But Parker put his foot down. He says we'll be a real-tree family forever. I know I'll get him eventually, but I don't mind the real-tree smell. It's quite nice.

Mike and Marisa Compton said...

Yeah...at least you have a tree this year. :( we sold ours cause it would be pointless to put it up and take it down right before we moved....but I thought we were moving at the end of dec. If I would have known we were going to stay longer I would have put it up. Oh well. I'll be at mom's house soon enough and she's got hers decorated.

I'm glad for you that you don't have to deal with needles again. That will be wonderful!

Cassie Rakes said...

thanks for making me soooo happy that we've never gotten a real tree. My mom always told me they were a lot of work, but you have totally convinced me to keep my fake one and buy a pine airfreshner. I hope you enjoy switching those 650 lights, YIKES.