So I continued to clean them up when I saw them, usually by vacuum. It was not unusual to suck up about 30 at a time, usually once a week. I thought that maybe since I only vacuumed them, they were finding their way out of the vacuum and going back to the pantry.
The Laundry room and Pantry finally got to be too much so I cleaned and organized them yesterday. I did not find any like cocoons, or caterpillars or anything. Must have been a fluke. I havent seen any moths in a while anyway.
But then today I went to grab something out of my nice clean pantry, and when I pulled it out there were two tiny caterpillars on it. I frankly smashed them, and checked it further to make sure there were no more. I didn't find any more, but then I realized that I had just moved that item next to the brown rice. I had a bunch in a box. I looked closer and guess what I found. TONS of tiny caterpillars all over, and inside my rice. Can you see him? just above the i
They had pretty much gone in every bag I had, but on a closer look I found the source, I don't know if you can see it very well in the picture. It almost looks like very thick cob webs
So I threw out all my brown rice, I have no idea if that is the only thing they were eating or not, but my dry beans were right next to the rice so I threw them out too. no big loss, I cant remember the last time I cooked with my dry beans... And now brown rice is kind of ruined on me.
5 comments:
EEEEWWW! How old was your rice? Do I need to throw out mine? ICK! Now I'm scared to check my pantry. ;)
We had a huge problem with that this summer. They are called Meal or Grain moths. If you found the larvae, you probably found the source. Pretty gross.
Well now that I think of it, there may have been a bag or two that was a couple years old. I remember packing brown rice when we moved a year and a half ago, and we don't eat that much brown rice.
They were gross, I'm definitely glad to be rid of them.
That's pretty...crazy...
And I think I'm going to go throw up now.
That's disgusting...I think I will not eat rice for a very long time.
Post a Comment