About a month ago we started our free trial of netflix and decided to cancel our Dish. We were finding that we weren't watching as many shows as we use to, and a lot of what we were watching wasn't that great anyway. And I gotta say, we haven't missed it one bit. Ok, maybe one bit, but just one. Football season just started and Mark doesn't have a tv to watch it on, BUT a friend at church just told him about a web site he could watch the games on, so it's all good.
When we had the dish it was on a lot more then I realized. Daddy would come home and we would try to get dinner on and talk about our days, so cartoons would go on to keep kids busy. And it would go off while we ate, then back on again till scriptures and prayers, then back on to watch our shows with out the kids.
Now, yes we have netfilx with tons of movies available on the wii, but it's on WAY less. A couple veggie tales or fragle rock during the day, daddy gets home and he plugs his ipod touch in to the surround sound and we listen to Internet radio, new songs every day. And the kids LOVE it. I learned a new song on my banjo cause I heard one I really loved, so I looked it up and played it, Daddy has more time to play with the kids. When the dancing starts to get silly they start teasing Daddy. As a family and individually we are all happier, just in general. Less yelling, more laughing. It's truly amazing the difference it's made. We can't get any local channels on our tv cause it's an analogue tv and we don't have a converter box or even an antenna. And I don't think we are going to be getting one any time soon. We still have plenty to watch when we want to, but we have found we are more aware of what we are watching and much less tolerant of things that maybe we shouldn't be watching. I think we are more aware of the spirit that it brings into our home. Plus, I love not EVER having to see commercials or adds.
4 comments:
Hooray for less TV!!! It sucks you in so easy and it's such a waste of time! Plus like you said, it makes you watch things that aren't really up to standard. Having it off really does bring the Spirit in so much more. :)
YAY for Netflix! Now for us we just have to figure out how to keep us off of the computer more.
Yea, sometimes the commercials are worse than the shows that come on! I haven't had cable in over two years and I'm fine without. Netflix is great - though I am running out of stuff to watch now :) But that's not necessarily a bad thing.
It's good to read about the positive experiences you guys are having.
Awesome! I remember an article in the Ensign a while ago where the family lost their cable/TV cords and learned that life was much better without the TV on. Your story made me think of that, and it is so true! Our cable will no longer be covered in our rent at the end of this month and I secretly couldn't be happier (don't tell Travis I said that--he is going to miss the Discovery, Travel, and History channels.)
Post a Comment