First let me say that I love the WIC program. It's nice to get the formula and milk and eggs and cheese and all the other lovely stuff you get from WIC. But I gotta say they can be a little crazy at times.
Nursing. Everybody knows they encourage you to nurse your baby as long as possible and they have a library of pamphlets to give you on it. I have never had them be rude to me and tell me I should have nursed longer, but I know people who have.
Sippy cups. Did you know that if your child drinks from a sippy cup instead of a real cup after they are 18 months old they will have a speech impediment? Yeah, neither did my kids DOCTOR. What's the difference of drinking out of a sippy other then a straw? So Finally I started telling them we totally got rid of the sippy. Which we didn't. Lydia can drink out of a cup just fine, but her FAVORITE thing is to PLAY IN IT. I give her sippy cups cause I don't want to add to the messes I am already cleaning up.
Now the last time I went in I got the REAL kicker. Since Danton is on formula she started talking to me about bottles and making sure I knew not to leave them out and let the formula go bad. You know pretty common since. And THEN she surprised me.
Nursery Water. She told me I needed to buy nursery water to make his bottles instead of using regular tap water. Well she said to buy just distilled water, cause it was the same thing and it was cheaper. She is all about the cheap stuff. Yeah, me too only, I'm all about the free stuff. And you can get water right from the tap for free. She said that it has bacteria or something like that is not as gentle on babies tummies and the nursery water. Since it dosen't bother Danton's stomach and it poses no threat, I continue to use tap water.
I knew WIC could get a little weird about some things, but that one surprised me.
3 comments:
Oh.. WIC. We hate you and we love you. I HATED the stupid classes they make you go to when you're preg. Hello, we're not all dense illiterate accidental mommies! As for the sippy cups? I figure as long as they don't HAVE to use them, let them! They do cut down on spills-and as for the speech impediment??? My 4 year old seems to have the opposite! And you know, tap water...it's just extra nutrients and protein, right??? :)
ugh...wic. I'm so greatful we dont have to deal with that anymore. You know how Xander is so skinny? They told me to feed him foods high in fat and suggar to fatten him up. WHAT!?!?! I mean COME ON! Just because he gets his genes from Granpa and Grandma willis, doesnt mean he needs a sugar overload just to match THEIR charts!
One of these days I'd like to hear of someone who flattened WIC for their unhealty health ideas. Yeah the food helps...but there is a reason why doctors go to school to become a doctor. That way they know what they are talking about.
Interesting... I didn't know that. Thanks for sharing.
Post a Comment