Monday, January 12, 2009

Fluffy Biscuits

So I made biscuits and gravy for lunch on Saturday, and we decided we needed a new recipe, and the one I found turned out to be and I'm not even kidding, the BEST biscuits I have ever tasted. Restaurant biscuits included.
But before I share with you the recipe I have to give you a real quick potty update. Lydia has always done things in her own way in her own time, so I decided with potty training not to push it too soon, She is after all, not even 2 yet, not for 2 more weeks. And Often Kids digress when there is a big change like a new sibling. So we I'm encouraging the potty but not pushing it. Every time she asks to go we go, and I try to suggest it as often as I can, sometimes every day, sometimes not. Anyway she asked to go potty 3 times in the last week and 2 of those times she went potty as soon as she sat down! Note, this was totally HER idea each time. So even though progress seems slow we are still trucking along and making progress and the potty is still a positive thing.
There, now that we have been talking about the bathroom are you ready to hear a new great recipe? ha ha ha


INGREDIENTS

  • 2 cups all-purpose flour
  • 4 teaspoons baking powder
  • 3 teaspoons sugar
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1/2 cup shortening
  • 1 egg
  • 2/3 cup milk
DIRECTIONS
  1. In a small bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, sugar and salt. Cut in shortening until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Beat egg with milk; stir into dry ingredients just until moistened.
  2. Turn onto a well-floured surface; knead 20 times. Roll to 3/4-in. thickness; cut with a floured 2-1/2-in. biscuit cutter. Place on a lightly greased baking sheet. Bake at 450 degrees F for 8-10 minutes or until golden brown. Serve warm.
I did it a little differently after reading the comments on the recipe. I did 1/4 c shortening (blended first into smaller pices) then 1/4 c REAL butter (blended second into slightly larger pieces) I learned the difference when baking pastry's and biscuits about using shortening and butter, but I won't go into it, just trust me the 1/2 and 1/2 sounds like more trouble then it worth, but it's not, it makes them so light and fluffy and even a little flakey.
The other thing I did different the the recipe was I kneaded it only about 5 or 6 times, I think 20 is WAY to much for biscuits, then I lightly patted it out flat and folded it on to it's self about 4 times to make the biscuits have layers, then I patted them 1 in thick and cut out the biscuits. I got 7.
1 inch was VERY think, they fluffed up more than twice the size in the oven.
If you like biscuits you GOTTA try these. SO SO SO GOOD! Best I ever had!

2 comments:

Chelsi said...

Thanks for the recipe. I'm going to try it for sure!! Sounds like she is coming along nicely in the potty training. On average it takes kids 8 months so don't sweat it!! You are doing exactly what you are suppose to!

Sarah said...

8 months, that actually is comforting to me. We have been going at it for about 4 months.