Tuesday, March 18, 2008

Dentist BLECK

:::: Picture removed to slow down traffic to the blog::::

I have needed ot get a LOT of work done on my teeth, and I have lost count the number of times I have been to the dentist since October. Several cavaties, all wisdom teeth pulled, and a root canal. Well today I finished the last of my fillings, and they took the impression for my crown, I have a temp on right now.
So if you havent been to the dentist lately Now when they work on your teeth they put on a rubber dam to isolate your teeth. Well getting numb and putting the dam on are my least favorite part. The picture above is the rubber dam. The metel thing clamps to a tooth, and there are tiny holes that they put the teeth through. It makes it water proof so all that nasty tasteing stuff the put on your teeth dosent get in your mouth. I actually prefer it, it's jsut a pain to put on.
So as they were clamping the metel thing around my tooth (after I had been numbed) but the inside of my gums still had ALL feeling, so you can imagine how bad that hurt. So he took it off and gave me another shot...and it was in the area that wasnt numb yet, so it still hurt.
They waited for a while to let it get numb, then they checked it, and it still wasnt numb, so they decided to do my impression for my crown first. They didnt numb me for that but said if it hurt they could. I was fine till they got to the back area of my gums, that was too sensitive, so they numbed me again, that was probably the MOST painfull shot, It's STILL tender, but they gave me the shot in the same spot that my wisdom tooth was, and that tissue has not completly healed yet.
So they did all that work and got the impression, the whole thing took about 45 mins. Then they checked my gums again to see if they were num yet, adn guess what, they werent, so they gave me ANOTHER shot, and waited for a min or two. Still not totally numb. So he went ahead and put the dam on, and that hurt. HE said that it will hurt a little but the preasure should numb it. My tooth was numb, but my gums NEVER did get numb. It was tollerable, then the started ADJUSTING the clamp and it was making tears form. It hurt so BAD. The assistant noticed and had him give me more numbing crap. so I got 2 or 3 more shots directly on the gum was was hurting. it tasted terriable but ti FINALLY started getting numb. After 5 sets of shots I was finally numb. (and with every set there are 2-4 shots.)
So when I was FINALLY done I sat up and was a little tipsy, and I felt my face and almost my ENTIRE left side is numb. From right infront of my ear, clear up to my temple, down to my cheekbone and straight to my bottem lip and all the way across my bottem lip, and down to my jaw line. I've been done for an hour and I'm still totally numb everywhere. plus my tooth that needs teh crown is still sore. :( I really like my dentist he does a great job, I'm just glad I only have to go back ONE MORE TIME. HORAY!!! :)

6 comments:

Keith said...

*CRINGE*

And this is why people hate the dentist.

Shelly said...

hear hear!

Mike and Marisa Compton said...

Ick I think having the plastic in my mouth would make me gag. Bravo for getting it done. I hope you're not in to much pain!

Sarah said...

I'm not in pain, but my wallet is. Dental bills...ouch

Sheri said...

Poor Sarah!! I've never heard of the little rubber tent thingy in your mouth. (Don't think I didn't notice how you used every opportunity you could to say "dam"...you sneaky wicked thing, you.) But does the tent really keep all the garbage that they put on your teeth from going into your throat? That's SUPER NEATO. And when they use that little hose to spray water in, does it keep that from going down your throat too? This is sounding like my kind of dentist job! (Except for the shots. You can keep your "dam" shots.)

Sarah said...

Yes, it's great, none of the tooth shavings, or the yucky bonding crap, or the water even touch your mouth.