Friday, March 28, 2008

# 8 on my 100 things about me

For the City of Joseph there is a scene where we portray statues. The statue that Lydia and I are portraying is the one of the mother and the father with the child walking between them. So far we dont have a father for the statue, Mark can't do it. But they wanted all the statues to have teh same color of costumes so the bought 150 yards of fabric and gave us pictures and fabric and said, "Make it look like this". The dress was simple enough I figured I could just make it instead of searching through books to find a pattern that kinda looked like it. And when I was done I had some extra fabric so I made a working hat: (with out a pattern)


This is the dress that Lydia is going to wear. I used one fo her dresses as the pattern.
And I made bloomers: (these I did have a pattern)
This is the top of my dress. I had a t shirt pattern that I used a couple years ago so I used that to get teh right angles for the sleeves and collar, but I had to make it fitted, so I had to cut the pattern at slightly different angles in different spots so I could add darts to make the boddice fitted
The picture has the statue in puffed sleeves, My pattern was for regular sleeves
so I learned on line how to make a puff sleeve pattern.
And this is my new pattern for my puffy sleeves.
Sorry, no model for this picture. When I tried it on Mark wasnt home. And if you know me very well you know that I wont just put on a dress unless I need to, and I didnt need to put it on to take a picture of it.
So since I didnt have a pattern to tell me where to put the darts, I pinned the bodice pices together and put it on (ouch, careful not to get poked) and I pinned the darts in place, then took it off and sewed it.
If we take pictures in our statue poses I'll post the "live" statue and the picture of teh real statue, so you can see.


I still have a few more yards of fabric, and so I'm going to make a couple aprons as well. They are needed for a "work" scene.
OOPS. I just realized that I was suppose to get my costume from the place I take tap, and we didnt have class this week due to Spring Break, and the show opens on Thursday next week. Which means rehearsal on Saturday is suppose to be full dress. I guess I'm not quite done with my sewing yet. Oh well.

3 comments:

LilDonbro said...

Holy Cow why are you so cool and talented? I couldn't sew a button on if my life depended on it. I hope you do take pictures so we can compare.

Garry the Jeweler said...

I'm way impressed. I just wish you were close enough so I could come and see the play.

Sarah said...

I wish you could come see it too, it's really comming together. We open on Thursday adn it gets better by the minuet