Friday, March 12, 2010

The MEET

We have hyper active smoke detectors. Infact they shouldnt' be call smoke detectors at all, they should be called HEAT detectors. Or smoke Freak-er-out-ers. There are times when I'm making dinner that I have to use both the toaster oven and the regular oven at the same time casue we only have one rack in our oven. As I was cooking with both after I opened one of the the freak-er-out-er went off, which triggered the OTHER freak-er-out-er up stairs so Mark fanned one while I opened the window and turned on a fan. We finally got it to stop, but then again I wasn't done cooking and when I opened the door to the other oven they went off again.
We finally took out the batteries but the stupid things have a BACK UP! so we ALSO covered the speakers with duct tape. Eventually they were just doing the "hey don't forget to put the battery back in me" beep.
Our little Lydia has very sensitive ears. Danton pretty much ignored it, but Lydia had a very worried look on her face and her hands over her ears. She was still a little scared of it. Not that this was anything new. They feel the need to be heard at LEAST once a month and often every 2 weeks. One day I opened the toaster oven and a piece of food had fallen off and was getting nice and black which set the alarm off. I took the battery out and as it did it's reminder call Lydia was less then pleased so I tried to make it "fun" I tried to duplicate the sound by going "MEET!"and I Lydia started doing it too. It made it better for a little while.
So back to a couple weeks ago with the batteries out and the duct tape on, I wish I could remember exactly what Lydia said, but I don't. Basically she scolded the freak-er-out-er something to the effect of
"No meet! Don't do that! Mom, I don't want it to meet"
So that is it. We no longer have a smoke detector or a heat detector, or a smoke freak-er-out-er, we have a MEET.

3 comments:

Sheri said...

CUTE! Please don't turn on the MEE mom, anything but the MEE!!!

Cassie Rakes said...

if she has sensitive ears you might want to pack some earplugs when you come visit.

That's pretty cute though.

Mike and Marisa Compton said...

hahaha. Well you cant say you didnt try. Poor kid will always remember the dreaded MEE.